Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Cuckoo's Calling



My first book review will be The Cuckoo's Calling because it's easy and fresh in my mind. Also because, surprise! This has a sequel coming out this month (June 2014)! I just pre-ordered the prequel and I really cannot wait. To start, this novel is by Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling. Yes, you read that right, JK Rowling. She decided to put this novel out without her real name being on it (until the very end). I actually think this was very smart of her and I will get back to that in a bit. 

For some reason JK Rowling decided to hide her name from this to see how it would do if people didn't know it was her. I'm not going to lie, I'm not sure if I would have read this if I didn't know it was her, but it's also because it got great reviews. So let's begin with the plot a little, Detective Cormoran Strike is a private investigate who is going through a very difficult time. He can't get any clients, he's having relationship trouble and he's living out of his office. On top of that, he has a secretary from the agency that he really can't afford; Robin. Anyway, Cormoran gets a huge break when someone comes and asks for him to investigate his sister's suicide. Obviously the deceased sister's brother does not believe it was a suicide, oh and she was a celebrity so if Cormoran can solve this case he might not be poor anymore. That's all I'm going to really give away for a plot, Cormoran and Robin become closer not romantically but professionally. This was a fun crime investigation read. The details in it are what I love from JK Rowling. Obviously, it's nothing like Harry Potter, however it's light, an easy read, very entertaining (I didn't want to put it down) and very "fun". It is without a doubt 100% better than her first novel after Harry Potter, The Casual Vacancy. That's for another time though (if I ever finish reading it). 

Anyway, my review? If you liked Harry Potter and the style of JK Rowling's writing, I would recommend giving this one a try. It's fun, easy, and even though it's almost 500 pages long, you can complete it very quickly.



No comments:

Post a Comment