Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Wild

Wild
 

I read this one awhile ago but I really wanted to tell you guys about the other books I've read because I just loved them so much. Don't get me wrong, this one was good but if you go to Goodreads you will see that the opinions were mixed (as always, click the picture for more info from Barnes and Noble)

Wild is about a young woman who loses her mother, she spirals out of control after this so she decides to hike the Pacific Crest Trail in hopes that she will be able to find her way again. A lot of people didn't like this story because they expected more about the trail and the hike, others didn't like it because it talked about how she threw her marriage away, and others didn't like it because they felt like all she did was complain about her life. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this story which is why it's taken me so long to write a response.

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Yes...all of those things happen, she didn't fight for her marriage, she spiraled into drugs and addiction and she complains a lot about how terrible her life was. The thing is, everyone goes through something like that at some point. She lost her mother young, she was in her 20s and she didn't know what to do. As someone who has lost a parent young as well, I can say that I'm just starting to deal with it, really deal with it on a regular basis. No, I haven't spiraled under control but I know how she feels and from that I think the critics were too harsh. In fact, I bet most of them haven't gone through something as dramatic as that yet in their life. Did I feel connected to her? In some ways, and in some ways I could see how people didn't like it. It was a struggle to read because it had so much detail of a depressing time in someone's life. Do I think what she did was kick ass? Yes, I do.

Anyone else read this?
What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment