Sunday, June 28, 2015

That Moment when you realize you have too many clothes

Ever realize that you probably have too many clothes? What do you do about it? Here's my new take on the matter that's been working great for me so far!

Whenever I buy something new I give myself one week to throw something out. It doesn't need to be the same type of clothes. For example if I buy a dress I don't have to get rid of a dress but I have to get rid of something.

I categorize what I have to determine what to get rid of. For example, there are four categories at the moment.

1- Clothes worn regularly
2- Clothes I don't wear regularly but might/really like.
The job I hold now doesn't require me to dress up for work everyday. It doesn't mean that the next job I take will be like that. Why get rid of all my dress clothes just because I don't need them at this very second?
3- Clothes I like and really don't want to get rid of yet but don't wear.
These garments get a 2-3 month "trial". If I revisit my closet and know they weren't worn then they go.
4- Clothes I just don't wear at all.
ie: still have the tags on them, have been at my mom's in NY for the past 2 years.


Displaying IMG_20150628_111318189.jpg

 I know, you're probably thinking that it must be hard and tedious but honestly, it hasn't been and it's helped me get rid of a lot of things (even if my boyfriend doesn't believe me) . My closet can now hold all seasoned clothes together (I used to store the off season clothes).

The next step is figuring out what to do with the clothes I want to get rid of. At first, I was just donating it all-- donating feels good, helping people who need clothes, but I will admit I started to get a little selfish. I really wanted to have a yard sale and see if I could make some money off of my old clothes-- it would be a better investment for me and then donate whatever didn't sell. That would have been great but I didn't have the best time (or location) to have a yard sale. Then I found out about  Thredup. Not only is it an online consignment store that has both never been worn clothes and worn but practically new clothes, it also lets you send in your clothes for credit or money. So you can either buy more clothes with your credit or keep the cash. If they don't think your clothes are up to par-- no worries! They will donate it to a charity. So basically this website is doing everything I need it to at once. As a side note, I just got a brand new American Eagle skirt from there (tags still on and all) for $7.99!

If you're looking to get rid of some things in your closet I really recommend it. I don't know if I'm going to get any kind of credit for the stuff I sent in but at least I know it's going to go to charity too.

What are your thoughts? Have you guys used Thredup? How do you go about cleaning out your closet? Have you tried categorizing what you wear a lot, what you don't wear a lot but love and what you don't wear at all? I'd love to know your take on the matter!


No comments:

Post a Comment