Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Montreal Canada

Okay so for people who live in Vermont, Canada isn't really a "vacation" because it's so close. For me, I always see it as a new little adventure. This is the second time I have been to Montreal, it seems like it's going to be a new "yearly ritual" for myself and Francis. We have gone around the same time for two years now and I think I like doing that continuously. In fact, I made Francis take a picture with me at Notre Dame Church both times so we can see our lives change. The pictures are below, 2014 and then 2013.



As you can tell it was cold and rainy last year in the Spring and this past year was gorgeous. It was such a great day to be out and about. Anyway, this post has nothing to do with Francis and I but with Montreal Canada and girls weekend (even if Francis was there)! Every year the girls and I from college try to do at least one thing that requires us to all get together and do something fun. Usually, it's to a Boston Red Sox game but we decided to mix it up a bit and go to Canada instead because they have a Fireworks Competition that happens every year. We went for the opening ceremony and to explore Montreal a bit. We went to Mount Royal Park, which not only has a wonderful view but the walk is fantastic.


About the fireworks since that was the whole point of the visit. I have never been to a firework show where the purpose is to tell a story. Usually fireworks are for the fourth of July, which is fine but the only music may hear with it is patriotic songs, which again is fine. This though had a different theme, and not only was there a theme but the fireworks played along with that theme. The theme we saw for opening ceremony was a father and son's journey called "DreamCatcher". As the story progressed the fireworks progressed. As the music became faster, the fireworks became faster which was so interesting for me. I love seeing the beat of the music be played out by the movement of the fireworks. A link to all you need to know is below:

http://montreal.about.com/od/montrealevents/a/fireworks_mtl.htm
http://internationaldesfeuxloto-quebec.com/en/programmation/calendrier.aspx

As you will see in the links above if you're that interested there are different ways you can watch the fireworks. If you're really looking for the best view, that would be at La Ronde, the Six Flags Amusement Park. We did not do that for the simple fact that it would cost over $60 a person to get in and since we wanted to explore Montreal it didn't seem worth it. Another very close spot would be to stand on a bridge for however many hours possible to wait for the fireworks- that was another option out for us. Our option ended up being the third best on the link above. It was a beach that had seating, alcohol and food to buy with a DJ. As one of my friends said "this makes me feel like I made it in life". I would totally recommend this for anyone who needs a weekend away. I plan to go again especially since I live so close to the border as it is. 




No comments:

Post a Comment